Datadog is an observability service for cloud-scale apps, providing monitoring of servers, databases, tools, and services through a SaaS based data analytics platform. At Cloudsmith we are big fans of Datadog and use it to monitor and visualize how our system is performing across a range of services and tools.
The Datadog Cloudsmith Integration, allows users to monitor their storage, bandwidth, and token usage in Datadog. This metric data is crucial in monitoring your consumption and mitigating against getting an unexpected overage bill- the Datadog Cloudsmith integration is another way for you and your team to monitor this.
The following metrics will be tracked by the Datadog Cloudsmith integration:
|Metric Name||Metric Type||Description|
|cloudsmith.storage_used||percent||The percentage of storage used|
|cloudsmith.bandwidth_used||percent||The percentage of bandwidth used|
|cloudsmith.token_count||item||The number of tokens in an organization|
|cloudsmith.token_bandwidth_total||byte||The total bandwidth used by tokens|
|cloudsmith.token_download_total||item||The total downloads used by tokens|
The Cloudsmith check is a Community Integration- follow these steps to install and configure your Cloudsmith integration.
First things first you need to install the Datadog Agent.
The Datadog Agent is software that runs on your hosts. It collects events and metrics from hosts and sends them to Datadog, where you can analyze your monitoring and performance data. To install the datadog agent, follow the steps here.
For Agent v7.21+ / v6.21+, follow the instructions below to install the Cloudsmith check on your host. Run the following command to install the Cloudsmith Agent integration:
datadog-agent integration install -t datadog-cloudsmith==<INTEGRATION_VERSION>
Configure your integration similar to core integrations. The Cloudsmith integration has 3 configuration values:
Follow these steps to configure your Cloudsmith integration:
- Edit the cloudsmith.d/conf.yaml file, in the conf.d/ folder at the root of your Agent's configuration directory to start collecting your Cloudsmith performance data. See the sample cloudsmith.d/conf.yaml for all available configuration options.
- Restart the Agent.
Run the Agent's status subcommand and look for
cloudsmith under the Checks section.
Datadog dashboards enable you to efficiently monitor your infrastructure and integrations by displaying and tracking key metrics. Once the Agent is installed with the Cloudsmith check, you can use the metrics in any datadog dashboard.
To make life easier for you, the Cloudsmith Datadog Integration comes with it’s own dashboard allowing you to monitor your Cloudsmith accounts storage, bandwidth, and token usage.
Log into Datadog and from the side bar select Integrations->integrations and select the Cloudsmith integration.
Open the Configuration tab and select Install Integration.
The Cloudsmith Dashboard can be viewed by following these instructions:
- Follow the instructions in the previous section to install the Cloudsmith integration
- From Datadog, select Dashboards->Dashboard list to view your dashboards.
Select your installed Cloudsmith dashboard- it will be listed as Cloudsmith Overview.
The dashboard above tracks tokens and consumption usage in an Organization:
- It tracks the storage and bandwidth usage of your packages in a Cloudsmith organization. If your bandwidth or storage usage is getting close to the limit, your status changes to amber if above 75% and red if your usage is above 85%.
- Track your entitlement token usage for your organization. View the number of tokens created, the total amount downloaded by all tokens, and the bandwidth used by tokens. Entitlement tokens are read-only tokens used for downloading files and gaining read-only access to repository contents. See Entitlements for more information.
The Datadog Cloudsmith Integration is a simple and effective visualization tool for monitoring your token, storage and bandwidth usage- never be surprised by an unexpected overage and give yourself time to change your settings before you reach your limit. If you identify a limit that is approaching a threshold, then you can quickly and easily adjust your limits at any time within the Cloudsmith UI.
If you already use Datadog to monitor your tools and services, this tool is for you!
Updated about 2 months ago