This guide provides step-by-step instructions on setting up Azure AD as a SAML IdP for your Cloudsmith Organization.
Cloudsmith is not (yet) an integrated application in Azure AD. You'll have to add Cloudsmith manually so you can configure SSO.
- Log into the Azure portal as an admin and click Azure Active Directory in the left menu, then Enterprise Applications in the menu that appears:
- Choose + New application from the top menu:
- Click Non-gallery application and enter "Cloudsmith" in the "Name" box:
Click the blue Add button at the bottom of the page. After a short processing delay, you'll be redirected to the overview page for your new application.
Select Single sign-on from the left menu and choose SAML:
- Next, we'll configure SAML settings. Click the pencil symbol beside Basic SAML Configuration to begin editing:
- To determine your Identifier and Reply URL (we use the same value for both) we use the following format: "https://cloudsmith.io/orgs/MY_ORG_NAME/saml/acs/", where "MY_ORG_NAME" is replaced with your organization's slug.
Hit the Save button at the top of the page.
- Next, we'll configure Azure to also send the user's first and last names during sign-in. Click the pencil icon on the User Attributes & Claims section:
- Remove all attributes except the Name identifier value, the screen should look as below:
- Next, we'll add first and last names to the attributes sent to Cloudsmith. Click + Add new claim at the top of the page, and add FirstName as follows:
- Repeat the process for LastName and hit Save. The attributes screen should now look as below:
- Finally, we'll need to add any users that need to be able to access the application. Click Users and groups in the left sidebar and then +Add user. You can add as many users or groups as needed:
Once configured as above, you'll need to provide metadata to Cloudsmith to connect to your newly configured IdP.
Go back to the Single sign-on tab in the sidebar, you should see, in section 3 (SAML Signing Certificate) a link that provides metadata for dynamic configuration, it is labelled App Federation Metadata Url.
Copy this link and provide it to Cloudsmith support:
Once you've received confirmation from support that your organization has been configured you can use Azure AD to begin logging in straight away.
You'll be able to access the landing page of your organization at the following URL:
Where YOUR_ORG_NAME is your organization's slug/identifier (what you would normally see in the URL when accessing your organization within Cloudsmith). If you're not sure what this is, ask us.
If you have any feedback on our SAML functionality or features you wish we supported, please do let us know as it'll help inform our roadmap in future.
Updated over 2 years ago